Almost every successful online marketing campaign comprises the element of search engine marketing. Every day, millions of people search on Google and Yahoo to look for information, products and services. So it is important that your website has good exposure on the search result listings.
In this article, I will share with you 8 very effective ways to get more search engine traffic to your website:
1. Make sure your website loads fast. Recently, Matt Cutt, head of Google's Web Spam team, said that Google may consider the loading speed of a website as a major ranking factor. Therefore, you should ensure that your website loads fast. Remove any unnecessary flash images and try to use more text to illustrate your points to your visitors.
2. Upload a XML sitemap to your web server. A XML sitemap helps search engine to understand more about your pages and facilitate indexing. A XML sitemap is extremely important if your website has hundreds of pages.
3. Join a service that offers you insights on the most commonly searched keywords in your industry. This ensures that you don't miss out the profitable keywords to optimize or buy.
4. Place your website links on other people websites. This will increase the popularity of your website and makes it rank higher on the natural result listings.
5. Conduct a detailed keyword research. Keyword research is very important. If you target the wrong keywords, you are going to waste a lot of time and money. Therefore, always do a thorough homework before you start any search marketing campaign.
6. Place your primary keywords in the Title and Meta tags of your website. The Meta description must be attractive enough to entice people to click on your link on search results listing.
7. Write for both human and search engines. Many search marketers make the mistakes of creating content only for the search engines. This is not good. At the end of the day, humans are the ones who are going to pay for your product or service. A good SEO copywriting is catered to both humans and search engines.
8. Participate actively in social media spaces such as Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc. Make as many friends as possible on social media sites and contribute to the community. Social media sites are great places to get build back links too. If you do it correctly, you can increase your search engine traffic by many folds.
Cheow Yu Yuan is the co-founder of OOm, an online marketing agency providing search engine marketing service.
Find out more about search engine marketing at OOm Singapore.
Please feel free to republish this article on your website, or distribute it to your friends or clients, as long as you leave the resource box intact.